The Null Device
Via Meg, this list of
untranslatably nuance-laden words in other languages
, some of which would
make useful English loanwords:
- plunderbund (Dutch) Alliance that exploits the public
(sounds all too familiar; witness Microsoft, the copyright cartels, Bush's
oilmen buddies, &c)
- bricoleur (French) Construction by random messing around
(actually, shouldn't that be `bricolage', with a `bricoleur'
being one who participates in it?)
- Ohrwurm (German) Tune that spreads through population.
(Literally "earworm", I believe)
- Papierkrieg (German)
Deliberate complicated paperwork for a complaint
- davka (Hebrew) Universe is conspiring against me
- hari kuyo (Japanese) Shrine for broken sewing needles
There are 5 comments on "":
Please keep comments on topic and to the point. Inappropriate comments may be deleted.
Note that markup is stripped from comments; URLs will be automatically converted into links.