Re: psychoceramics: Mutually Assured Neurosis

>Is there a term for this in Abnormal Psychology?

Yes. It is called a personality disorder.

>This can't be the
>only instance of such a thing.  Now that I've written all the above down,
>I must say, DrG and Boursy's behavior reminds me of John Birch Society
>types I've met in the past.<<

As a former psychologist and psychotherapist, I would say that your
diagnosis, is probably as good as mine. Good example by the way. You
seem to have a clear picture.

I was once an advocate of radical therapy, namely, I contracted with my
patients to work on "goals" which they developed for themselves.

As a therapist, I didn't find many personality disordered people seeking
therapy - at least not for their personality disorder. They can't see it.
Nor can they see the gross inconsistancies in their lives. They do suffer
much "pain" however. That pain is about as much an "absolute" measure of
pathology as you can get. The "aim" of the pathology game is namely in the
pain or discomfort felt. They place the blame on others: the classic bait
and switch: I'm a victim...I hurt...and it's all YOUR fault...you SOB!
They never seem to get beyond victimizing others.

I just got tired of "hanging out" with screw-balls.  ;-)

I had enough validation of my own relative sanity. I quit while ahead.

Ernie