psychoceramics: (Fwd) SATURN THEORY--Plasma Discharges

From: kronia @ kelly.teleport.com (Kronia Com)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science
Subject: SATURN THEORY--Plasma Discharges
Date: 23 Feb 1997 16:36:37 -0800

The electronic newsletter THOTH is available at no charge to
anyone requesting it. The newsletter will offer an
interdisciplinary approach to the origins of ancient myths and
symbols--on the one hand, a reinterpretation of planetary history
based on rigorous cross cultural comparison, and, on the other
hand, a challenge to traditional astronomy and related theoretical
frameworks assuming a stable solar system.

If you are interested in subscribing, simply respond by email with
the message, "Requesting subscription to THOTH." The subscription
can be canceled at any time.

As a sample of the materials included, I offer the following
article by plasma physicist, Wallace Thornhill. This piece was
submitted to a private email group on October 12, 1996, a date
important to keep in mind because of the predicted findings with
respect to the Galileo close-up images of the Jovian moon Europa,
the first of which was released by JPL in mid-December. The
surprising findings predicted by Thornhill did indeed occur.

PLANETS, STARS, AND PLASMA PHYSICS

By Wallace Thornhill (w--@n--.com.au)

Hello everyone from DownUnder!

Dave has asked me to give a summary of my interest and position in
the debate about the Saturnian configuration. I was one of the
early science undergraduates, in the late 50's, who had read
Velikovsky's works before entering University. In my naivete, I
thought that no questions were taboo in the halls of academe. To
my surprise and profound disillusionment with "experts", I soon
discovered that this was not so. I then began to do what Dave has
done and looked for further evidence, working on my own.

So far as I know, I was the only science undergraduate who haunted
the anthropology section of the library bookshelves. It was enough
to convince me that there was a major case to be explored for a
"recent" re- arrangement of the solar system.

I did not pursue the mytho-historical threads, since my first love
is astronomy. But I have applied the same principles in that field
that Dave has done in his work--that is, pattern recognition and
matching. The results have been very encouraging and interesting.

I should state my prejudices concerning the present state of
science. I would characterize the scientific age as being the of
homo sapiens ignoramus. To be specific about our ignorance the
areas most likely to affect the Saturnian configuration, I would
list the following:

GRAVITY - Einstein, with his geometric DESCRIPTION of gravity has
held back understanding by the better part of a century. The most
promising work in EXPLAINING gravity is being done by a handful of
Classical Physicists who see it as a minute imbalance in
electrostatic forces associated with fundamental particles. The
recent announcement of the accidental discovery of gravitational
shielding by a rotating superconductor seems congruent with the
classical approach. It certainly could not be predicted from the
current metaphysics of gravity theory.

ELECTRICAL DISCHARGES - This is crucial. We do not understand what
causes earthly lightning so we are unlikely to acknowledge plasma
discharges in space. The little plasma physics that astronomers
are taught is flawed: that plasmas are electrically neutral and
superconducting (they trap magnetic fields). So apart from
gravity, magnetism is the only other force we hear about. We are
told that energetic events on the Sun are due to "magnetic
reconnection" (whatever that means). The strongest force (barring
nuclear)--electrical--is never mentioned. We find it easy on Earth
to generate x-rays using electric discharges, but astronomers
insist on Nature doing it the hard way in space. It is also not
generally known that electrical discharges are very efficient at
removing material against gravity and dumping it into space or
onto another nearby object.

STARS - We do not understand what makes them tick. As Ralph
Juergens said in the 70's, practically every feature of our Sun
has no business being there if it is purely a thermonuclear engine
radiating into space. Magnetic fields do not occur without an
associated electric current. The Sun is essentially an extended,
conducting plasma subject to electric stress. The phenomenon we
call the Sun is purely a ball of lightning. That the Earth and
other planets intercept some of the galactic plasma discharge is
shown by the recent discovery of diffuse stratospheric discharges
(sprites), x-rays and gamma-rays above earthly storms. This is a
precise analogue of the corona (x-rays), chromospheric glow
discharge and photospheric lightning (granulations are the tops of
the discharges) on the Sun. The umbra of a sunspot gives us a
glimpse of the true temperature of the body of the Sun.

As a result of this realization, it follows that the conventional
stellar evolutionary story is pure fiction. Stars are what they
are because of their environment. Their variability is caused by
their environment, not their internal workings. This explains the
speed with which some stars change their characteristics. Heavy
elements are not built up solely in supernovae, but at the surface
of all stars in the non-thermal compression and acceleration of
plasma discharges (granulations). Hence, nucleosynthesis and what
little neutrino production there is fall as the sunspot number
increases. The differential rotation of the Sun, its magnetic
field and the sunspot cycle are all influenced by the Sun's
passage across large Birkeland currents flowing along, and
defining the arms of our galaxy.

PLANET FORMATION - The Laplacian theory and its variants are
garbage. The Hubble Space Telescope has shown that in regions of
star formation large bodies are being shot out as if from a gun,
which is peculiar if gravity is the operative force.

Once again plasma discharges provide a mechanism which can simply
explain this. The view is that diffuse hydrogen and dust is
efficiently scavenged and compressed by the well known magnetic
pinch effect of an electric current flowing along the arms of a
galaxy. At some point gravity takes over and stellar objects are
formed. Beyond a certain size proto stars become electrically
unstable and "fission", spitting out some of the core and giving
rise to one or more companions. This explains the predilection for
stars to be found in pairs or multiples. Not all of the matter
ejected from the core of a proto-star may coalesce into a
companion star. It may be in the form of one or a number of gas
giants. (The recent discovery of a Jupiter-like body orbiting very
close to a nearby star argues strongly for this model and against
the standard theory). A gas giant, in turn, due to either internal
or external electrical disturbance may fission, spitting out its
core, to give rise to the highly condensed planets, moons,
asteroids, comets etc.

COSMOLOGY - All of the above gives rise to the conviction that
cosmology should be in the hands of the plasma physics
experimenters (not the theorists). It is ironic that the
theorists have been chasing the holy grail of fusion power "just
like the Sun", when that is patently wrong. (Interestingly, a
recent breakthrough in fusion energy research came about in my
home town, Canberra, when the researchers configured their plasma
discharge in the form of a Birkeland current ring - a precise
analogue of that flowing along the arms of our galaxy).

But astronomers will continue to be surprised by results pouring
in from space probes when their fundamental paradigms rest on
Newtonian and billiard-ball physics. The current paradigm has no
predictive power whatsoever. The book "The Big Bang Never
Happened" by Eric J Lerner is a pointer to the cosmology of the
21st century.

-----------------

So, what are the patterns that apply from all this to the
hypothesized Saturnian Configuration (SC)? The following are some
ideas:

1 - the core discharge mechanism of planet formation is plausible
    way to generate the SC, a string of objects with the largest
    near the middle.

2 - the reliance on the degree of electric stress in the
    enveloping plasma for the characteristics of the larger bodies
    enclosed in that plasma could see rapid changes occur, even
    the disruption of one of the stellar or gas giant objects. It
    could certainly involve jets of material being emitted by such
    bodies and forming a diffuse cloud enveloping the SC. It could
    also be the destabilising influence which finally breaks it
    up.

3 - As seen in the high speed objects shooting out of the Orion
    Nebula, plasma discharges taking place in the core of a star
    or gas giant can result in considerable acceleration of the
    resultant debris. This may provide some of the source of the
    energy required to position Jupiter and Saturn much farther
    out in our solar system. The redistribution of charge amongst
    objects in a solar radial field also REQUIRES that their
    orbits will change.

4 - Charged bodies orbiting eccentrically in a radial electric
    field around the Sun will dissipate energy through
    electromagnetic induction heating in such a way as to quickly
    spiral into a circular orbit. For any object with a high
    eccentricity, electrical breakdown will occur within its
    Langmuir sheath and cometary discharge phenomena will be seen,
    regardless of its size (Venus?).

5 - If gravity is essentially an electrostatic phenomenon, the
    unusual environment of the Saturnian configuration would be
    expected to have caused a difference in the perceived gravity
    at the surface of the Earth. It is conceivable that the
    electric stress within the plasma sheath enclosing the SC was
    less than that which the Earth endures in its current solar
    environment. This would result in an effective lower gravity.
    The breakup of the SC would have caused a sudden change. An
    interesting sidelight to this idea is that the apparent very
    low density of Saturn may be due to the use of a UNIVERSAL
    Gravitational constant in the determination. There may be no
    such thing (Measurements of G in laboratories on Earth don't
    seem to agree). In Saturn's electrical ~ environment we may
    have shared an apparent low gravity.

6 - Various odd phenomena associated with plasma discharges would
    have been observed from Earth and should appear in ancient
    depictions of the SC. These include helical, serpentine glows
    surrounding a central column or twined rope-like around each
    other. These would be representations of Birkeland currents
    flowing between planets enveloped in the same plasma sheath.
    The number of "strands" may have varied and given rise to the
    depictions of Venus with different numbers of radiants. We
    should also look at photographs from deep space of "exploding
    stars" for clues to the imagery since they are electric
    discharge phenomena writ large. One example is where we see
    bright rings at the bases of cones. From below, they would
    possibly look like rings around the column or a series of
    flared skirts. Another effect is seen in discharge tubes
    filled with low pressure gas where a series of light and dark
    bands are formed transverse to the discharge axis. This might
    give rise to a kind of "stairway to heaven" or ziggurat
    appearance. Then there is the self-contained plasmoid, a
    corkscrew within an overall football shape which forms the
    interplanetary equivalent of lightning and appears to have
    been depicted as Zeus' thunderbolt.

I have looked in some detail at chondritic meteorites which I
expect to be left-overs from a planetary discharge event. They
show all the characteristics to be expected of material that has
been subjected to flash heating, acceleration, collision and ion
implantation in a spatially restricted compressed gas stream
together with isotopic modification by enhanced radiation,
followed by sudden cooling - all the symptoms of a plasma
discharge. I predicted that the features of the enigmatic
chondrule shells could be reproduced in the lab in a plasma oven.

(A planetary discharge is a very effective way for Martian
meteorites to have been created).

Very strong evidence for planetary electrical scarring comes from
the Magellan Orbiter images of Venus. Also, the Jovian moon Europa
was presumably a part of the SC and would also have been subject
to electrical scarring. I predict that when closeups of Europa are
available in December, the so-called cracks in the ice will be
found to be electric discharge channels with raised levees on
either side and the dark-light-dark cross section caused by
discharge modification of the excavated material. (In the manner
of the green glass beads formed from the melted soil excavated by
an electric discharge along the lunar rilles). The "cracks" on
Europa show no lateral displacement where they intersect, though
displacement would be expected if they were due to shifting ice.
Discharge channels will throw material from, the younger channel
into the older where they intersect. Cracks should not show this
characteristic.

After that I need a long, cold Fosters!

--
Bruce Baugh <*> http://www.kenosis.com
Moderator, comp.os.ms-windows.win95.moderated