psychoceramics: the hair I had before my change of head

  Phillipe Pinel reported in 1800 the curious case of a man who fell into "a
  true delirium brought on by the terrors of the revolution. The overturning
  of his reason is marked by a particular singularity: he believes that he was
  guillotined, and his head thrown pell-mell onto the pile of the other
  victims' heads, and that the judges, repenting too late their cruel deed,
  had ordered the heads to be taken and rejoined to their respective bodies.
  However, by an error of some sort, they put on his shoulders the head of
  another unfortunate. This idea that his head had been changed occupies him
  night and day.... `See my teeth!' he would repeat incessantly, `they used to
  be wonderful, and these are rotten! My mouth was healthy, and *this* one's
  infected! What a difference between this hair and the hair I had before my
  change of head!'" *Traite medico-philosophique sur l'alienation mentale,
  ou la Manie*. Paris: Chez Richard, Caille et Ravier, 1800, pp. 66-7.
    -from footnote 2, Chapter 5, Daniel Dennett, *Consciousness Explained*