psychoceramics: Hale Bopp and Velikovsky

This is from the "Generally Weird Mailing list".  Laurie Williams is a
grade A #1 kook.  This is not the best example of nuttery, but it is up
there.  I need to post some of the earlier Hale Bopp stuff.  It is
"interesting"...

>From: w--@p--.apc.org
>Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:15:29 +1000
>To: g--@I--.org, in_search_of@primenet.com, ufo-l@mb.protree.com
>Subject: Hale Bopp and Velikovsky
>Sender: owner-g--@n--.Integral.org
>
>Hale Bopp and Velikovsky.
>
>> From owner-g--@I--.org  Sat Apr  5 23:16:26 1997
>> From: Richard Grainger <r--@i--.co.uk>
>> Subject: Re: Lawrie Williams and Hale Bopp
>
>> I use my real name and this is what happens....
>My unreserved apologies for undeserved rudeness to you.
>
>> ... Well actually I am who I say I am
>Well you aren't a Nancy anyway, you show signs of intelligence.
>
>> ...In actual fact I have quite an open mind, I think it is reasonably
likely
>> that there has already been ET contact with Earth and that the major
>> governments of this world have covered this fact up.  I "beleive in ghosts"
>> although I don't find them particulary interesting, probably just an
>> electromagnetic phenomenom.
>Then tone down the debunking Richard, so that others will feel safe
>to share their stuff with us on the weird list.
>
>> What I am against however is the increasing trend towards mysticising UFO's
>> and deifying their inhabitants....
>Then you have read me wrong. I have strived to demystify the things even
>if that involves recognizing aspects of their interaction with humans that
>is normally claimed by the religious types to be their province. You sure
>got me wrong on the deification angle too, when the ancients talked about
>Hermes or Hera or Zeus they did it in the way that we talk nowadays of NASA
>or Uncle Sam or Science.
>
>You see, the only way we relate to non-Christian/Muslim/Jewish Entities
>nowadays is in terms of these pathetic monotheistic supercults. People
>did not use their paradigms in dealing with the "gods". It is ironic
>that even smart people who reject religion are stuck with their way of
>seeing things because other perspectives were savagely crushed by them
>over the past 15OO years. I hope I have now made this idea clear as it
>is a very important one.
>
>> a tragic example of this was the Heaven's Gate Cult.
>I bet you every person involved was indoctrinated in US style Christianity
>before they were old enough to think for themselves. That is by far the most
>disgusting thing about monotheistic religions, their belief in brainwashing
>little children.  By that I mean no reflection on moderate Christians &tc.
>
>> Your postings mixing UFO's, apocalypse and pseudo history are exactly the
>> thing I'm talking about.  Although like me, you seem to think organised
>> religion is mindless superstition based on badly translated texts, you are
>> replacing it with stuff that is equally mindless and seems to be the
result
>> of some VERY selective researching...
>I cannot agree with this, and hope you do not now either.
>
>> How many of your films have actually been made, this isn't an insult, I'm
> [...]
---
|            "Mi Tio es infermo, pero la carretera es verde!"            |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l a--@t--.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |a--@c---alt-del.com|