Re: psychoceramics: Cult of Personality

At 5:15 PM -0700 on 10/5/97, Tom Easton wrote:

> At 01:32 PM 10/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >... Unswerving patriots and hair-trigger Child Protectors are good for
> >a yuck, too, by the way.
> >Frankly, so are any self-righteous supercilious know-it-alls.
> >
>         As are some of us, at times?
>         Well, humph!

As am I, Sir. Don't fall into the trap of thinking I don't count myself as
a supercilious know-it-all.

> >But why bother poking these folks with a "Ha ha, you're stupid" message?
> >
>          That truly is mean-spirited, in a way most of us were raised to
> avoid.  It's tempting, but better we should indulge in our yucks in seemly
> privacy.

I must say I've never been tempted at all. I'll point and haw with you all,
but I'd never let the Subjects themselves know our feelings. Truly, what
good would it do anyone?

Regards,
Tozier

William Tozier                               also: Santa Fe Institute
Biology Department                                 t--@s--.edu
University of Pennsylvania                 [Web Pages Being Serviced]

"Life is central to this universe, any universe. Life provides the
observers who bring existence into being, exfoliating the branches of the
multiverse. Life ramifies into complexity, bootstraps itself out of the
nonsentient void. Life is the sole source of negentropy, of extropy. Life
is _fun_, and the only game in town."
  -- Paul Di Filippo, seen in _Non/Stop Magazine_