psychoceramics: The Phallic North Pole

From:         Lynda Mccloskey <MCCLOSL--@T--OWERS.COM>
Subject:      [CTRL] Bill Edelen on the Pole
To:           CTRL--@L--ISTSERV.AOL.COM

Remember my wonderful Pat Robertson post?  (Hey, I can say that 'cause
I didn't write it.)  Here's the original article that it referenced.

---------------------- Forwarded by Lyn McCloskey/Towers Perrin on
12/08/97 10:37 AM ---------------------------

Dear Ms. McCloskey:

Your request to Mary Szterpakiewicz of Truth Seeker came to my
attention yesterday (Thursday). It caused me some frustration, since
I couldn't even find a hard copy of my "Pole" article, let alone
Bill Edelen's article on the same subject. By a wonderful
coincidence I came across Edelen's article as I was tidying up my
friend's magazine area. It was published in *The Edelen Letter*,
Vol. 3, Issue 9, Autumn 1993. (I believe that Bill Edelen has
stopped publishing the Letter.) It is so much fun that I decided to
keybang it in, so that we'd all have access to it. Maybe Mary can
upload her copy of it, which will arrive via this email, to the Web
to accompany my "Pole" article. Here, after the asterisks, is the
Bill Edelen article you're looking for.

******************
PAT ROBERTSON AND THE "POLE"

Holy cow and holy smokes, what would we do without the comedy of
Pat Robertson and his circus of followers? Religious and historical
ignorance comes in many forms, but with Robertson and his "flock,"
the illiteracy becomes so monumental as to be laughable. Here's the
latest, folks. Go get a cup of coffee, or whatever, pull up a chair,
and read on for some real hee-haws.

Robertson's August magazine says it is a "Special *See You At The
Pole* Edition." It says in bold letters: "MAKE HISTORY. Join
students around the world. Plan to pray, in a circle, around your
flag pole on September 15, 1993. *See You At The Pole*, September
15, 7 a.m. (local time)." Now the picture that goes with all of
this is of young men and women, boys and girls, all in a circle,
holding hands, around a high, solid flag pole.

Now, why is this hilarious? Because a "pole" has been a universal
fertility symbol for thousands of years, with the "worshipers"
gathered in a circle around it. This is an exact and precise
duplication of the ritual of phallic worship that has been
universal in religious history. The Druids and other "pagans" of
northern Europe practiced this for centuries. The word "pole" even
derives from "phallus." The phallic principle was worshipped around
sacred poles, or posts, such as the maypole and the "bride-stake"
erected at weddings. Guests would gather around the pole, holding
hands and offering prayers.

In sixteenth century England, the phallic symbolism was well
understood. The Puritan writer, Philip Stubbes, describes it as
follows: "Young men and maids, gather in the morning." (Get that
"in the morning." It was always a morning ritual, like Robertson's
7 a.m. time.) But back to Stubbes' description: "The chiefest jewel
they bring is their pole, which they bring with great veneration and
devotion. They circle and dance around it." Celebrations of 1724 are
described: "There is a pole where stood an Hermes (herm, phallic
pillar) in Roman times."

Robertson's announcement tells us that more than two million young
people are going to participate, and it will be : "... the largest
in human history." Can you beat that? Ol' bible pounding, Jesus
jazzer, fundamentalist Robertson is reviving the symbol of fertility
and phallic worship among the youth of the world. How about that,
sports fans?

A ritual was to have taken place among his flock on September 15,
7 a.m., that goes back thousands of years in almost every culture.
But, as they say, "Ignorance is bliss," and the religious and
historically ignorant among them will not have a clue as to the
history of what they are doing. The headline of his magazine says,
"SEE YOU AT THE POLE." This year's prize for comedy has to go to
Pat Robertson. Of course, who knows? Maybe if the young people
really knew the history of the ritual, ten million might have shown
up instead of only two million.

Items bracketed with asterisks are to be underlined.
Italics, bold, and underlining don't travel well by email. I guess
you're used to this in your email activities, as you used asterisks
yourself. Enjoy.

Om