Newsgroups: news.groups,news.admin.net-abuse.misc
From: peter @ bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Subject: "Law Doctor" Manus Grubor FAQ
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 13:23:54 GMT

Additional question-answer pairs are eagerly solicited.

Q. Who is "Law Doctor", "Doctor God", "Law Professor", "Manus", Grubor?

A. That's a good question. He claims to be a lawyer, a disbarred lawyer,
   a Confucian priest, and a system admin (flunky) for a law firm. On occasion
   he denies he's been disbarred, so here's a direct quote:

   In article <626272.23.30911A--@m--.missouri.edu>, DrG wrote:
   >I guess they disbarred me the next year -- who cares?
   >I have a lot more fucking power as a disbarred-lawyer than
   >any lawyer ever has.

   Now he's saying he quit for love, the disbarrment was a mistake. If
   anyone gets the straight story, let me know. "Manus" is the name of
   some company. I have no idea if it's where he works or just a personal
   side business or DBA.

Q. What's his real name?

A. Unless someone's fraudulently claiming to be a disbarred lawyer, it's
   John Grubor.

Q. Why does he post all this stuff?

A. He's trying to attract attention to promote some pot legalization bill,
   and he said he's writing a book to be titled "Internet Anarchy Tamed".
   Looks like the usual money/power nonsense.

Q. Why are his posts always so angry?

A. He claimed in email that you need to be "bad" to get attention on the net.
   He now denies this claim, but I won't post his email to the net without
   his permission or request.

Q. Why does he follow up to himself?

A. No idea. I think he's just losing it.

Q. What is "alt.is"?

A. It's part of the group name "alt.is.not". He's decided that because
   there's an "alt.is" directory on his system, it must be a real group.
   He's got some story about it standing for "Internet Systems", but
   "alt.is.not" existed long before Grubor showed up.

Q. What's that other stuff he's putting in his newsgroup line?

A. More of the same. Looks like he broke his active file, and when he rebuilt
   it he just created an entry for every directory in his news spool. So he's
   an incompetant system administrator as well as an incompetant lawyer.

Q. Does he really have 8 kids?

A. I think that's a metaphor referring to the "Big 8".

Q. What about him being a professor?

A. He claims to have taught at Penn State, but Penn State doesn't have a law
   school.

Q. What should I do about it?

A. Pretty much ignore him. If you're using "trn", add the following entries
   to "$HOME/News/KILL":

	/Law Doctor/f:j
	/Manus/f:j
	/Grubor/f:j
	/DrG/f:j

   Instructions for other newsreaders would be appreciated.

   I originally suspected that he was some college kid who heard about
   Rob Pike's on-line persona "Elizabeth Bimmler", who staged a Monty-
   Pythonesque reign of terror on net.suicide in the early '80s. Or that
   he might even be Pike himself. Other people who have investigated him
   have reported that there was a Grubor, who used to be a lawyer, never
   won a case, and was disbarred under apparently nastier circumstances
   than usual. So he's on the level, that far, but whether he's just so
   twisted he wouldn't know "straight" if it bit him on the ass or he's
   playing sillybuggers I don't know.

--
    Andrew C. Bulhak    "You don't have to stay anywhere forever."
a--@c--.monash.edu.au         -- Edwin Paine (1901-1914),  December 1990