psychoceramics: (fwd) Re: Metal Strips in $20 bills, why?

More from Rivero;  this time, on the topic of the metal strips in US currency.

Newsgroups: alt.conspiracy
From: rivero @ netcom.com (Michael Rivero)
Subject: Re: Metal Strips in $20 bills, why?

In article <APC&1'0'4d765560'8--@i--.apc.org> Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance <suwa@igc.apc.org> writes:
>I have heard the new strip placed inside $20 bills is magneticly
>keyed to allow metal detectors to sense how much cash you are
>carrying.  Would love some background info if you have it.
>BTW- they are really easy to remove, the whole thing just slides out.
>Q:  why would the govt want to track currency that way?
>Many thanks.
>respond here or c--@c--.org

  According to my half brother with the LAPD, the D.E.A. uses the strips to
locate illegal (I assume he means not licensed by the CIA) drug dealers so their
doors may be kicked in.

  Also, if you look closely at the signs posted at airports these days, you
are not allowed to carry more than $10,000 cash with you as you leave the
country, and both people and luggage are scanned. While overtly an anti
drug tactic, this also "locks" the middle class wealth inside the borders.

  The strips, BTW, are NOT metal. The lettering is aluminum but the plastic
is related to the thin strips of plastic used in store anti-shoplifting tags.
The clue is when you hold the bill up to the light. In between the letters,
the plastic strip has a light brown color. Mylar (what the Treasury claims
the strip is made from) has no color at all.

  You need not remove the strip to wreak it's radio reflectivity. A cut
through it slightly off-center will change it's resonance. Both this
cut and actual removal constitute defacing the currency, which is
illegal. If you want untraceable money, start buying gold.

--
===========   T H E   A N I M A T I O N   P L A N T A T I O N  ============
|  Michael F. Rivero - r--@n--.com - 17 years in the business       |

    Andrew C. Bulhak    "You don't have to stay anywhere forever."
a--@c--.monash.edu.au         -- Edwin Paine (1901-1914),  December 1990
    a--@d--.null.org         (in _Sandman: Season of Mists_, by Neil Gaiman)