psychoceramics: (fwd) A question: has Usenet gotten stranger?

Here's some food for thought:

From: tskirvin @ arh0062.urh.uiuc.edu (Tim Skirvin)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.kooks
Subject: A question: has Usenet gotten stranger?

	As a relatively new member of Usenet, I've seen my share of
kooks -- Bob "I am sane, you are not" Allisat, Steve "And thus the
compelling need for consumer protection legislation" Boursy, Mike
"Congress could ban God right now, and there's not a thing you or I
could do about it" Falkner, and now John "Rude, libelous behavior is
the BACKBONE of this UseNeT, aned it shall NEVER be supressed!" Grubor.
All, to me, are some of the strangest people I've ever had the
(dis)pleasure to meet, but all can be pretty entertaining in their work
as official Strange People...

	But then I've also read of the old kooks.  Hell, I've even seen
some of them.  They're pretty strange too -- and maybe more so because
they're the old guys.

	But are they really stranger than the people we've got now?

	Has Usenet gotten stranger?  Have the kooks that we all love to
laugh at as strange as the ones that came before?  Or is this the dark
ages of silliness, and we just don't even know it?

	(Just wondering.)

				- Tim Skirvin (t--@u--.edu)
--

--