Re: psychoceramics: Hornstrumpot!

[t byfield]

> >Here is some classic crackpottish pseudoscientific speculation, from
> >the founder of 'pataphysics.  (The original of this was found at
> >http://hamp.hampshire.edu/~ngzF92/jarrypub/works/time.html.)
> >
> > -- acb
> >

> >How to Construct a Time Machine
> >
> >by Alfred Jarry, translated by Roger Shattuck
>
>         I utterly resent your imputation that Alfred Jarry bears even the
> remotest resemblance to anything having to do with psychoceramics--let
> alone your implication that pataphysics is a subspecies of it or in any way
> "pseudoscientific." You would do well, young man, to get thee out of your
> CS nunnery for a bit and read Jarry's _Exploits and Opinions of Doctor
> Faustroll, Pataphysician_, a novel composed entirely of bureaucratic
> documents, or Shattuck's _The Banquet Years_.

Well, a document describing the design for a time machine based on
gyroscopes and "luminiferous aether" _is_ in itself somewhat kooky;
especially since some crank posted something with a very similar theme
to sci.physics not so long ago.

Btw, are those works of Jarry currently in print?  In English?

--
 - a--@c--.monash.edu.au
 - http://www.zikzak.net/~acb        "Nobody clever be's cardboard boxes."