psychoceramics: sanity's a one trick pony, man (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Nick Caruso -----

To: silent-t--@w--.std.com
From: ncc @ gensym.com (Nick Caruso)
Subject: sanity's a one trick pony, man

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------

[... forwards out being fitted for an ensign's uniform ...]

 Alternate Juror Says She's Promoting Show's Values With Uniform

 By Associated Press, 03/13/96

 LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - The alternate juror in the Whitewater trial
 who has come to court every day wearing a "Star Trek" uniform said
 Wednesday she's on a mission to promote the show's strong moral
 values.

 Those values, Barbara Adams said in her first media interview since
 being chosen for the jury pool, are inclusion, tolerance, peace and
 faith in humankind.

 ``If it helps to make people think a little bit more what those ideals
 are, then I'll keep wearing this uniform,'' Ms. Adams said.

 Spectators snicker, but the garb - complete with phaser, tricorder and
 communicator badge - is no laughing matter for the Brooklyn, N.Y.,
 transplant.

 After all, she's commander of the U.S.S. Artemis, a group of area Trekkies.

 The 31-year-old print-shop supervisor said she became fascinated with
 ``Star Trek'' as a child, enthralled by its positive message as an
 alternative to what she called ``mindless television.''

 She spends anywhere from a few minutes to several hours every day on
 Star Trek activities, she said, ranging from collecting memorabilia to
 volunteering for the Red Cross or the state's public television
 network.

 But don't mistake her as some kind of weirdo addict of the show.

 ``I don't pick up every detail, I don't feel that I have to watch it
 every minute that it's on,'' she said. ``I tape if I'm not going to be
 home, but otherwise I don't feel like I have to totally devote my life
 to it or totally reschedule my life so that I can be home to watch
 Star Trek.''

 She says her fellow jurors were curious at first.

 ``They'd asked me why I'm wearing it, and once I told them, they were
 quite satisfied with the answer,'' Ms. Adams said.

 She may have to answer to a judge, though, for breaking court rules
 against jurors' contacts with the media.

 ``I would imagine that if she is quoted in the paper, that'll be a
 matter the court will take up,'' deputy independent counsel Hickman
 Ewing said Wednesday when told of her interview with a television crew
 that was also recorded by The Associated Press.

 U.S. District George Howard Jr. could not be reached for comment after
 court Wednesday.  His law clerk, Judy Lanski, said she would refer the
 matter to the judge Thursday but declined further comment.

----- End of forwarded message from Nick Caruso -----

--
http://www.zikzak.net/~acb/          Better living through regular expressions.