psychoceramics: Re: psychoceramics-digest V1 #104

[Bruce Ediger]
> 1. I was under the impression that the USA had a much higher Religious
>    Kook Quotient than other countries.  Unfortunately, I'm not well
>    traveled, so I have no experience to back this up.  Can someone from
>    Australia or Europe comment on the quantity and quality of Real Life
>    Religious Kooks?

Here in Brisbane, Australia, I see far more religious proselytizing in
the city centre on Friday nights, when the crowds are bigger, than at
any other time; but I can't say that these people are religious _kooks_,
since I don't hear them espousing propositions that are interestingly
bizarre enough. (On the other hand, perhaps repeated exposure to
Street Christianity, Krsna-Conscious Chant-Fests, and the like has
dulled my appreciation for doctrines that are after all a little odd.)
The people with strange beliefs who I've met locally I've often run
across via the Circle Bookshop, a local occult bookshop (add it to
your itinerary if you ever plan to visit!).

>From my few weeks in the United States I get the impression that the
street-ranter density is much higher there, particularly in Berkeley.

--
-mitch
http://desire.apana.org.au/~qix