psychoceramics: Re: Undiscovered planets beyond Pluto;

> From: m--@w--.std.com (Michael Moroney)
> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 01:53:39 -0500
> Subject: psychoceramics: Re: Undiscovered planets beyond Pluto; SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN
>
> Just when you thought Archimedes had gotten as nutty as possible he outdoes
> himself.  From this post he apparently feels that we (or at least he) can
> create our very own laws of nature by dreaming them up and "teaching" them
> to nature!
>
> - -Mike
>
> From: Archimedes.P--@d--.edu (Archimedes Plutonium)
> Newsgroups: sci.astro,alt.sci.physics.plutonium,sci.physics,sci.physics.electromag
> Subject: Re: Undiscovered planets beyond Pluto; SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN
> In article <4it3q4$u--@n--.iol.ie>
> David Byrden <g--@i--.ie> writes:
> > Archimedes.P--@d--.edu (Archimedes Plutonium) wrote:
> >
> > >  With my new theory in hand I am keen to look into astronomy for
> > >evidence in support.
> >
> >     Don't forget to ignore all the evidence against!
>
>   You must be new to sci.physics hierarchy. Here we discover the true
> theories of the universe and then we, if we have the ambition, go out
> and teach Nature how to obey our theories. This way of doing science is
> much more interesting and powerful than the old way because we must get
> more active and actively involved with our theory. The old way of
> physics, say under Newton or Maxwell were too passive of a enterprise.
> You must admit that teaching Nature how to obey a newly discovered Law
> is much more difficult than just dreaming-up, then mathematizing and
> discovering the Laws of physics.

This sounds to me like some bizarre application of Sheldrake's morphic
resonance, which theorises that the laws of physics aren't laws as such,
but 'habits', which have been learned over time. From what I can
gather, Sheldrake has his adherents mainly amongst the New Age
movement, which appears to feel that the laws of physics are 'arbitary'
or something... of which that number now includes Archimedes.

--
Graham the Happy Scum, KSC, KotF, Episkopos of the Grudnuk in Extremis Cabal,
Terra; CEO of the ScumCorp Imperium, GmbH; Vice President of the Commonwealth