psychoceramics: Re: What about Hale-Bopp... Is Nancy right after all..?

> Brian Zeiler <b--@s--.wisc.edu> writes:
>    Using this graph, we can handily place various sci.astro "regulars" into
> the proper categories and end this ceasless debate about whether Nancy is a
> loon or merely a crackpot.  Using my own Bible of Scientific Correctness (the
> same one used to pillory Galileo, Tesla and Pons and Fleishmann, of course)
> I find that:
>

>             ^
>             |                         * Maharaj                     * Nancy
>  O     huh? |                    * Abian                          * Archie
>  D          |
>  D          | * Alcubierre
>  I          |
>  T  bizzare |
>  Y          |             * Brian
>             |                        * Jeong          * Seto
>             |                          * Tomes
>         odd |
>             +----------------+--------------------+-------------------->
>          uncertain       convinced        conspired against      I'M RIGHT!!1!
>
>                                    VEHEMENCE

Alcubierre, huh? On my copy of The Songs of Distant Earth by Mike
Oldfield, on which the sleevenotes are written by Arthur C. Clarke, in
which he does a followup to the introduction of ACC's book of the same
name. In the 1980s novel ACC was panning space opera's like Star
Trek for their use of FTL travel, but he qualifies this on the record
by referring to Alcubierre's article. From what I can gather, your
assessment seems about right.

It's possible though that Alcubierre is a repressed trekkie, who got
fed up with scientists taking the mickey out of Star Trek, and slaved
away to come up with a credible theory to explain it all.

Reminds me of the Starfleet Juror incident.

--
Graham the Happy Scum, KSC, KotF, Episkopos of the Grudnuk in Extremis Cabal,
Terra; CEO of the ScumCorp Imperium, GmbH; Vice President of the Commonwealth