Date: 12 February 1994
To: UnderSecretary in Charge
From: Internet Crimes Division
Subject: Report Summary: Online Serial Killers

The Secret Service must alert police agencies and the public to the
newest menace to emerge from the Internet: online serial killers.

1. The unregulated nature of the Internet, plus the anonymity of the
exchanges, allow a variety of antisocial personalities free play in
their aberrant behavior. The most dangerous of these computer-related
antisocial disorders is serial homicidal sociopathology.

2. Of all serial killers known to operate online, similarities far
outweigh differences. All use similar techniques for meeting their
victims online, gaining their confidence, and then arranging for the
murder. All find emotionally vulnerable victims and trade off their
insecurities. All use chat rooms to avoid discovery by others. All are
masters of manipulating behavior, able to gratify their victims'
psychological needs.

3. Most online serial killers concentrate on a single victim,
overwhelming them with attention, usually with the promise of a romantic
affair or a get-rich-quick scheme. One notorious killer, dubbed "Doctor
Zero" by police, has been known to troll for victims in many locations,
keeping several on the hook at any one time. Some of the lures are
incredibly complex and detailed. It has been compared by one apprehended
online killer to fly fishing.

4. Because of the immensity of the Internet and the overlapping of
jurisdictions, control of online predation is extremely difficult and
seldom attempted. In fact, we believe that there may be as many as a
dozen online killers presently at work on the Internet. They are usually
careful to make their victim's murder seem random or unrelated, so there
is seldom any way to trace the killer's connection to the Internet.

Conclusion: Internet serial murder is a growing problem. What we know
may be just the tip of the iceberg. Public complacency is our greatest
enemy. More funding is needed to police this new arena of criminal
behavior.