psychoceramics: FYI:IDENTITY CONSERVATION (fwd)

Rich harvest once again on extropy. 'gene

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:31:13 -0500
From: Ian Goddard <i--@e--.com>
To: e--@e--.org
Subject: IDENTITY CONSERVATION

	O-----------------------------------------------O
	O-----------fixed-pitch-font-required-----------O

	         T H E   I D   M A T R I X   A N D

	           THE CONSERVATION OF IDENTITY

	          (c) 1998 Ian Williams Goddard

	The Identity Matrix,  or Differential Matrix, that
	I have developed proves that identity is conserved,
	which is to say that net identity remains constant,
	fixed at zero, regardless of changes within any uni-
	verse of  discourse.  This establishes an important
	conservation law that opens the door to a more com-
	prehensive understanding of identity and of logic.

	Identity (ID) is the basis of logic. The basis of ID
	is DIFFERENCE. An ID attribute refers to a degree of
	difference.  Degrees of difference can be quantified
	as numerical ID units. For example, the Differential
	Matrix below lists the ID units, or numerical degrees
	of difference, between the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5:

		        Degrees Of Difference
		      Between 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5

		             1  2  3  4  5
		            _______________
		         1 | 0  1  2  3  4 |
		           |               |
		         2 |-1  0  1  2  3 |
		           |               |
		         3 |-2 -1  0  1  2 |
		           |               |
		         4 |-3 -2 -1  0  1 |
		           |               |
		         5 |-4 -3 -2 -1  0 |
		           -----------------

	As an ID attribute is a degree of difference, each
	number appearing vertically below each number along
	the top are the ID attributes,  or ID units, of the
	number on top as  derived from its relations to the
	other numeric entities in our universe of discourse,
	which are listed on the left side of the ID matrix.

	-4 is an ID unit of the numeric entity "1" because
	1 is 4 less (-4) than 5.  In the same way we would
	say that -2 is an ID unit of Mr. Jones if Jones is
	2 feet shorter (-2) than Mr. Johnson. The ID units
	of A are all the things that A is, relative to ~A,
	and 1 is 4 less (-4) relative to 5. All ID units
	of A are derived from the relation of A to ~A,
	such that the existence of A presupposes ~A.

	NET DIFFERENCE AND THUS
	NET IDENTITY EQUALS ZERO

	As the ID Matrix proves, the net sum of all ID units
	equals zero, regardless of the number of numeric en-
	tities we may include.  Keep adding new numbers and
	the sum of all ID units will always equal zero. This
	proves that the net difference of all numbers equals
	zero and that identity is  conserved,  which simply
	means that net identity remains unchanged despite
	any apparent changes in any set of entities.

	This not only establishes a new law pertaining to
	identity but it also topples the traditional theory
	of identity,  which sees  the ID attributes of A as
	private properties of A that are independent of pro-
	perties belonging to ~A. To the contrary, as the ID
	Matrix proves, every ID unit of A is derived from
	the relation of A to ~A, and no ID unit of A is
	derived exclusively from itself. Identity is
	therefore 100% holistic and 0% atomistic.

	We might think that one thing, such as one subatom-
	ic particle-wave, has an inherent identity derived
	from itself,  yet that  assumption  is manifestly
	false.  For example,  the sub-atomic particle-wave
	represents a fluctuation in the field of space-time,
	which presupposes both particle-wave (A) and an area
	external to it that is not-particle-wave (~A). So
	the ID of A is always derivative of A/~A relation.

	The ID Matrix shows us that all relations are inher-
	ently and exclusively  symmetrical,  even the rela-
	tion between asymmetrical numeric pairs, such as 4
	and 7, since 7 is 3 more (+3) than 4 and symmetri-
	cally 4 is 3 less (-3) than 7,  and thus  the net
	difference between 4 and 7 ((+3)+(-3)) equals zero.

	IDENTITY DEFINED

	IDENTITY is (1) similarity and (2) difference:

	 1) IDENTITY: two entities or statements,
	    such as 5 and 5, share an identity
	    if their relative difference = 0.

	 2) IDENTITY: X possess an identity where
	    X stands out as different from some
	    state or quantity defined as not-X.
	    Identity is a product of difference.

	These definitions are consistent with both the
	traditional theory of identity and the new law
	of the conservation of identity. Yet,  proving
	that the most extreme mystical claims are true,
	if, in accord with definition (1), two entities
	share an identity if their relative difference
	equals zero, then all numbers share an identity
	because, as the  ID Matrix  proves, their net
	difference will always equal zero.

	Such a fantastic conclusion simply expresses the
	indisputable fact that, as all ID attributes, or
	units, are derived from holistic relation, an ID
	attribute is a shared property of the relational
	pair from which it is derived, and therefore, by
	extension, in an unbroken chain of relation, all
	ID attributes belong to  all entities  such that
	the identity of each entity is  unified  to the
	identity of all entities.  It therefore follows
	that the whole is an  attribute, or property, of
	the part, that ~A is an attribute of A, and thus
	that atomism is a fallacy and holism is absolute.

VISIT Ian Williams Goddard  ---->  http://www.erols.com/igoddard

GODDARD'S METAPHYSICS --> http://www.erols.com/igoddard/meta.htm