psychoceramics: Re: erik satie

this was forwarded to me by a friend (i cant confirm its authenticity, but
this friend reports on NPR, so his credentials are reasonable...). , :

[snip]
From the writings of Erik Satie.....

"Besides, I enjoy measuring a sound much more than hearing it. With my
phonometer in my hand I work happily and with confidence. What haven't I
weighed or measured? I've done all Beethoven, all Verdi, etc. It's
fascinating. The first time I used a phonoscope, I examined a B flat of
medium size. I can assure you that I have never seen anything so
revolting. I called in my man to show it to him. On my phono-scales a
common-or-garden F sharp registered 93 kilos. It came out of a fat tenor
whom I also weighed.

Do you know how to clean sounds? It's a filthy business. Stretching them
out is cleaner; indexing them is a meticulous task and needs good
eyesight. Here, we are in the realm of phonotechnique.

On the question of sound explosions, which can often be so unpleasant,
some cotton wool in the ears can deaden their effect quite
satisfactorily. Here, we are in the realm of psychopyry.

To write my Pieces Froides, I used a caleidophonic recorder. It took
seven minutes. I called in my man to let him hear them."

- Erik Satie
[snip]