Re: psychoceramics: Berkley OJ Guy and other stuff

[William J Jacobs]
> Gunnar Hellekson wrote:
> > I've heard stories from friends in CA about a hippie that took too much acid
> > and has been tripping for 20+ years.  He walks the Berkeley campus with his
> > arms extended, bobbing this way and that, claiming to be a glass of orange
> > juice.  If someone bumps into him, he gets very hostile for fear that someone
> > will spill him.
> >
> > Can anyone corroborate?  Caveat haquer...
> >
> I can anti-corroborate.  This is just one popular variant on the 'takes too
> much drugs and is permanently deranged' urban legend.  Check the AFU faq and
> archives for more details.

There appear to be quite a few "guys" in Berkeley; people who seem to
be sort of like characters with a theme of some sort.  The ones I've heard
of were: one who went everywhere wearing a large garbage bag or
something similar; one who goes about completely naked (the infamous
"naked guy"); and the "hate guy" who tells people that he hates them
and wants people to say that they hate him too.  Any others?

> I'd also like to bring up the topic of stealth kooks--folks who outwardly
> seem fairly normal and get along passably in society, but have a secret
> bizarre life.  One of my fellow graduate students seems only somewhat odd,
> but some invasion of his privacy has revealed that he is a cross-dressing
> time-traveling guardian-angel-possessing spirit-chanelling reincarnated
> alien from the planet Octogeneris.  He is currently working on a tome that
> will disclose the final explanation that will link together UFO's, spirits,
> Atlantis, the nature of space-time, and lots of other stuff.  I actually
> have a lot of respect for him; If I were as cracked as he is, there's no
> way I could seem as nearly human as he does.
>
> Have any of you made similar discoveries?  And is it really any of our
> business?  Is there any way to guess how many people are doing such oddities
> behind closed doors?

Some of them may be just recreational kooks;  people who assume a kook
persona and troll a few people for fun.  A lot of kooks turn out to be
leg-pullers.

--
 - a--@c--.monash.edu.au
 - http://www.zikzak.net/~acb        "Nobody clever be's cardboard boxes."