Re: psychoceramics: [Fwd: Pentagram built into Washington, D.C. map]

[Room 101]
> On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Andrew C. Bul+hac?k wrote:
>
> > More on the occult symbolism in the map of Washington D.C.
> >
> >  -- acb
>
> [kookness snipped]
>
> When I read something like this, I want to be able to be in a position
> later, when the topic comes up again amongst kooks, to clearly state the
> origins of the supposed "evil symbol" or object or whatever is from. Does
> anybody know the origin of the pentagram as something other than simply a
> geometric shape? When did it get imbibed with evil powers? TIA.

I think pentagrams (and hexagrams and such) were pagan symbols.  Apparently
in occult circles (no pun intended), they serve to protect one from
evil spirits or such.  Of course, when Christianity came to prominence,
symbols of the old religions became repurposed as symbols of evil.

(Interesting factoids: the word "demon" in the original Greek has no
evil connotations, as it does in English.  Also, the evil false deity of
money Mammon was originally a pagan fertility goddess or somesuch.)

--
"I have spoken to one cat, and to many.  And wherever I have gone,   www.zikzak
 my message is the same...  Dream it!  Dream the world. Not this     .net/~acb/