psychoceramics: where'd you go to school? (fwd) (fwd)

This could be another paranoid delusion, a la Judith's black mass and
Joan Grove's ramblings about Microsoft.

 -- acb

[forwards lost several mailing lists ago]
  --------

    I went to New Trier High School in Winnetka, Illinois. It was a WEIRD
  place. CNN once featured it in a story on "the Harvard of high schools."
  It's a public school, but we send so many people to the Ivy League that
  people at Harvard actually claim to be able to recognize the New Trier
  accent. As you can guess, the school has a serious ego trip about this -
  which is where things get weird.
    The school has a serious dark side. I knew one kid who killed two
  innocent young suburbanites (a man and his pregnant wife) for no reason
  whatsoever. One year he was running for class president, the next year he
  was getting hauled off by police on the evening news. Another kid I knew
  got arrested after placing an ad in Soldier of Fortune, looking to hire
  someone to kill his pregnant girlfriend. This other guy I recognized in
  the halls, but didn't actually know, had a very wild party where he ended
  up having sex with his sister. (He didn't find out who it was until after
  the fact.)
    Pardon me for stating the obvious, but my high school was MESSED UP. I
  apologize if I've inadvertently started a "messed up high school" thread,
  but it was a very, very strange place to grow up. Oddly obsessed with
  middle-class status, and even more oddly violent. My family's English;
  when I was a bit younger, I used to think all Americans were lunatics. Now
  I know I just grew up in a strange part of the country.
    Anyway, I'm glad I got out of all that and came out here. The West Coast
  rocks. I also went to college in the West (St. John's College, in Santa
  Fe, NM, for one short year), and generally my experience has been that the
  West is a little less bonkers than where I'm from. Which is nice. :-)

  -----End of forwarded message-----

--
"I have spoken to one cat, and to many.  And wherever I have gone,   www.zikzak
 my message is the same...  Dream it!  Dream the world. Not this     .net/~acb/