Re: psychoceramics: Year 2000 bug ushers in the death of western civ...

The meme about Y2K ushering in the death of western civilisation may
not be too much of an exaggeration;  if you ask old-time COBOL gurus
who know the extent of the problem, they'll tell you that it's far
worse than any politician or CEO would allow themself to believe.
Mainframe guru Ed Yourdon cowrote a book, "Time Bomb 2000", about the
Y2K crisis, which offers a sobering analysis.  Incidentally, Yourdon
has cashed in his shares and moved from New York to rural New Mexico.

<OFFTOPIC>
The collapse of Western civilisation it may not be, though there may
be electricity and communications failures, shutdowns of airports,
and the failure of commerce and banking.  Some predict food riots in
cities, where shops and suppliers are floored by non-Y2K-compliant
computers and embedded systems.

Incidentally, did you know that the BIOS of most pre-1997 PCs is not
Y2K compliant, and goes back to 1900 or so at the turn of the century?
Frightening...
</OFFTOPIC>

 -- acb

[David Fleck]