Re: psychoceramics: Norton in Colbert?

h--@i--.com (Doc Hambone) writes:
> I was watching "Would You Believe It" on Discovery, and they had a bit
> about Colbert or Colma or something, the town where all of San Francisco's
> dead are buried.  They showed a plaque in front of town hall with some
> crack about it being a good place to live, and at the bottom were the words
> "Emperor Norton".  The rest was off the bottom of the screen - can anyone
> fill in the blanks?
> Doc

from http://www.kkc.net/eyenet/1996/net0208.htm

THE MAN: In 1859, Joshua Abraham Norton proclaimed himself Norton I, Emperor of the
United States. This, the greatest of all North American rulers, is today naturally written out
of most history books as part of the Conspiracy that seeks to enslave us all. But the
Internet defeats the evil Conspiracy and liberates censored information. Most people know
the slogan: "Information wants to be free." But most people don't know the full slogan:
"Information wants to be free. Especially information about Emperor Norton."

Born in England in 1819, he ended up in San Francisco 30 years later. Norton brought
$40,000, ran it up to $250,000, then lost it in 1853 in one of those freak rice market gluts
spoken of so often by Nostradamus. (Orthodox Nortonites refuse to partake of the Wicked
Grain; Reformed Nortonites revere the grain as the Hand of God.)

Six years later, the pauperized Norton chose a new career path: he was the Emperor of the
United States. (He was also Protector of Mexico for a while, before deciding he didn't want
to protect it anymore.)

The San Francisco Bulletin printed his announcement. Soon, all his Imperial proclamations
were published in newspapers. Citizens adored their Emperor. He ate for free in San
Francisco's best restaurants. He was listed in the city directory: "Norton, Joshua
(Emperor), dwl. Metropolitan Hotel." He made daily Imperial rounds of his city's streets,
overseeing the activities of cops and construction workers.

His royal entourage was ever at hand -- two stray dogs he named Bummer and Lazarus.
He issued his own currency, which was accepted in San Francisco stores. And when he
died in 1880, 30,000 people turned out for his funeral.

--
"I guess communism has *all* the answers!"
                 -- Who Me? by Jack Chick

Visit the Conspiracy Arc-Hive!
http://www.netizen.org/Arc-Hive